WordPress Plugin: Simple Popular Posts
I was looking for a plugin to show my most popular posts based on comments on this blog’s sidebar, and the only one suitable for me was Most Popular Posts by Wes Goodhoofd. Although it works very well, I want something simpler. I don’t really need what the Most Popular Posts plugin offer, I just want a really simple plugin that shows the popular posts based on the number of comments.
So, based on the Most Popular Posts plugin, I wrote Simple Popular Posts plugin. As the name states, it’s a really simple and basic plugin that shows the most popular posts based on the number of comments. It creates a widget for your blog’s sidebar to show the popular posts. It doesn’t have it’s own settings page. You can configure the plugin right from the widget panel.
It only has 3 options:
- The widget title.
- The number of posts you want to show.
- Whether you want to show the number of comments or not.
The widget will show popular posts from all categories, and posts with 0 (zero) comments are excluded.
Installation & Usage:
- Upload the folder simple-popular-posts to your WordPress plugin directory.
- Activate the plugin from the plugin panel.
- Go to your widget setting page.
- Drag the Simple Popular Posts widget to your sidebar.
- You can customize the widget.
Usually, a wordpress theme uses the <h3> tag to display the widget title, but to match your theme’s design you can edit the tag on line 32 in the plugin’s php file.
15 May 2010: Version 1.0
- Initial release